I woke up this morning craving donuts.
This is not donuts. But it will satisfy your sweet tooth without making you feel bad about your decisions.
Who decided that donuts for breakfast was bad decision making, anyway? Whoever they are, they should be arrested.
I’m a big fan of baked oatmeal. Especially this baked oatmeal because it has the texture of a cake. So you’re basically eating cake for breakfast. A healthy cake. (I promise it doesn’t taste like a healthy cake.) And this oatmeal has almond butter and coconut oil, which are known to boost energy levels, so you’ll actually feel better after eating it. Have you ever felt better after eating a donut? Maybe for a moment, you feel better, and you think to yourself, “Wow, that donut was delicious. And the photo that I posted on Instagram of that donut got over 1000 likes! Clearly people are jealous of me and my incredible life decisions.” Cut to an hour later when your blood sugar drops and your energy is depleted and you’re passed out and drooling at your desk before lunch.
The moral of the story is: Don’t eat the donut. Eat this instead.
- 1½ cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup almond butter (I used unsweetened)
- ½ cup milk
- 2 peaches, cut into thin slices (peel if you wish!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg, coconut oil, honey, milk and almond butter.
- To the wet mixture, add your oatmeal, flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and ginger (optional). Stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with non-stick spray, and lay about half of your sliced peaches on the bottom (covering the bottom of the baking dish).
- Pour the baked oatmeal mixture on top.
- Top the oatmeal with remaining sliced peaches.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 22-30 minutes until oatmeal is set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.